Saturday, April 18, 2009

IF-"Impossibility"



"Impossibility" is the theme for Illustration Friday this week and it seemed to be a theme that I could pick anything- because it is nothing short of an impossibility that I can even remotely call myself a freelance illustrator.
I feel like I have been doing this forever, with little results,than I don't know what happen- the last few weeks- it has gotten crazy- still not seeing a lot of money for my efforts- but Friday, I felt like a real illustrator- I spent my day working on a commission for National Public Radio,(more to follow later, don't want to let the cat out of the bag) and mailing off requested sample to a top children's publisher I would love to work with, after a personal email from an editorial intern-all an "Impossibility"!! not that long ago.
I have a few other big leads in the pot- everything seems to be due on May 1st- so the next two weeks,I will be working like a real illustrator-
Walking out of the post office, I thought to myself "What would I do if I got a picturebook contract?", I'm not sure, but the first thing I would want to do is curl up in a ball and declare it would be an "impossibility"!!
Don't know what will happen after May 1st- made there will be nothing on the horizon-but it feels like I have taken a step up the ladder.

10 comments:

  1. Your collages with this patterns and textures r really really nice :) will keep visiting !!!thanks for dropping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! You are twice the artist. I have always wanted to do this but my talent falls short, actually I do not have talent for this. I always wanted to do this, OMG. beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe. I just scrolled through your past posts. I also love your IF: Packed entry. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your career momentum! It is so nice to hear things are going well for you.

    Lovely illo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your fabric collages--and I find it so encouraging that people like you keep going--you must love it to be doing it so long, and it is SO COOL that it's finally happening. I can totally see you doing picture books. These are marvelous. You GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH JULIA I knew this would happen. You are in my prayers for a wonderful and successful new beginning to your career. Your talent is amazing and needs to be seen by so many.

    These fabric creations, illustrations, are just lovely. You have a great gift for showing us just enough to make us want more!

    In addition to all the fabulous and imaginative illustrations, you write with passion.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Anyone who does such wonderful textile art shouldn't be surprised by successes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy MOLY! Wow, I've never seen anything like this. Your work is absolutely stellar and fantastic! Congratulation with the work so far. I hope the ball continues to roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Congratulations Julia! Seems like things are really working out for you artistically you've always had it, it was just a matter or time for someone to let you do your thing.

    Keep us updated on the buzz!

    Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete