Thursday, June 30, 2011

Girl Power

                            
I've been here for the last couple of days, where above on the billboards, below on play bills stuck to the melting asphalt and posed on the the back of taxi cabs are advertisements of barely clad, full bodied faceless girls. Being here is down right depressing, if not for the reason we find ourselves in this cement clad desert oasis in 100 degree temperature. Last night, my oldest daughter fought her way to earning her third degree brown belt in Kenpo Karate 5.0




Accomplishing such an achievement in this town is a more than a little ironic. She is only 17, and for the last several years has been trained by some amazing teachers- thank you Mr. S, Mr. P and Mr. T!
She goes for her first degree black belt next year- and should have it right after she graduates from High School- which is somewhat of a comfort for me- since I have no idea how to let go of my baby and let  her go off into the big bad world. Yesterday, watching her hold her own in a room with at least fifty Brown and Black belts, being one of maybe five women, like all mothers, this is the face I saw.
proud of you, Bunny!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean...isn't it strange to see such a small, tiny girl do such a powerful thing!!

    ReplyDelete