Tuesday, December 02, 2014

Red and Green, Santa Fe Style...


After a fun Thanksgiving with family here in Colorado, where I got to use the squash from a friend's farm...


some of us, crossed the border to New Mexico and headed to Santa Fe...


Where the crowds for Black Friday were not bad at all....


and a couple hundred years of history surrounded us, like the old Santa Fe Library entrance...


On Saturday, to support #smallbusinesssaturday, we headed down to the newly renovated Railroad district and partook of local goods...


Of course chilies were everywhere, extra beautiful coming into this special season...


and never have I seen such a large tub of Chimayo chili, unique to Northern New Mexico, from the valley of Chimayo, where we had gone a few years back around New Years, read HERE  This gentleman and his buddy, called me over like they were selling something illegal. But once he lifted the lid, how could I not take a really good whiff of the sweetest red chilies ever. As I savored the smell, he told me how to heat it up in a skillet and make a sauce or add it to meat.I bought a half a kilo from him....


A few hours later I found the same thing, except this time, packaged up all nice for the out of town tourists in a kitchen store down at the plaza...


 and an eight of what I bought for twice as much.





2 comments:

  1. I like Santa Fe, but my wife has completely fallen in love with it. We spent several days there on our anniversary vacation...

    http://richardbarron.net/traveller/2014/10/21/perfect-ten-october-2014/

    Glad you had a nice time. -Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa Fe is wonderful any time of year- we have been there for many holidays- a little weird on Halloween but really fun and laid back to spend New Years Eve!

      Delete